Department of mechanical Engineering
It is the first and fore most duty of any engineering discipline to update and adopt to the need of today’s world of education. As a part of globalization new technologies and requirements, are emerging in all branches of engineering. Hence, today the Education and Institution must respond to advancement in teaching learning process and in the quality of out coming students.
Our college, a Professionally Managed Institution, dynamically changes the way to meet the ever-increasing challenges in Engineering Education.
Our mechanical Engineering Department was one of the initially accomplished branches in our college and is established in the year 2004. During the last six years there has been a vigorous pursuit of activities related to development of excellent engineering graduates from our college.
Our department has well established Lab facilities, Departmental and central Libraries, internet Facilities to update knowledge on recent developments in every area of mechanical engineering.
The infrastructure facilities and good systems and procedures, scientific systems and procedures, scientific teaching methods are focused towards student’s motivation achieve University rules.
We in PJCE, with dedicated and well experienced Faculty impart excellent knowledge and best training to the students, so that they will have edge over others to stay competitive. Our faculty constantly interacts with students in knowledge sharing, progress review in curriculum, co and extra curriculum activities.
I take this opportunity to express that our department has contributed vastly in enlightening the student community in the filed of mechanical engineering. I proudly state, we stood first place in district level in university results in last two consecutive years. We hope to achieve first rank in university level very soon.
I am sure that our vision, to achieve the best with the constant inspiration and the guidance from our management, in-depth collaborative efforts will give the required leverage to stay a head in the race.
To impart high quality professional training and develop acumens in technical education and scientific research.
Empower the mechanical vibrant to create newer technologies with good entrepreneurship skills, to be the icons of modern industries.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
PEO 1: To provide sound foundation in mathematical, scientific and Engineering fundamentals necessary to analyze, formulate and solve engineering problems.[Fundamentals]
PEO 2: To analyze real time problem and demonstrate their innovative skills to design, implement and evaluate mechanical based systems or components catering to their requirements of the society and corporate clients. [Engineering System Design]
PEO 3: To engage in sustained learning through higher studies, professional improvement opportunities and self directed learning to adopt them to changes in mechanical engineering in the local and global context. [Life long learning].
- To achieve good academic excellence
- To train the students with real time mechanical problems.
- To develop multi disciplinary skills to enhance their future.
- Be a centre of excellence in the field of research and development.
- Imparting true education to the students to evoke newer technologies.
|1||Dr. P.M. Diaz||Professor & Head||Ph.D|
|4||J.Aron Rakkesh||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|5||S.M.Shanmuga Ramanan||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|6||I.Santhosh Poun Raj||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|7||S.Ajith Kumar||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|8||A.Maria Baby John||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|10||B.Louis Prabhu||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|12||A.Justin Thanu||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|13||P.Suresh Kumar||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|14||B.Anush Raj||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|18||Ramesh Babu||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|19||A.Rama Ganesh||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|21||G.Arun Raj||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|22||S.Mathu Kumar||Assistant Professor||M.E|
|24||E.Sam Jebadurai||Assistant Professor||M.E|
Facility-Department of mechanical Engineering
MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY –I
- To gain hands on experience on working of general purpose machine tools and on various manufacturing processes.
FLUID MECHANICS AND MACHINERY LAB
- The students can able to have hands on experience in flow measurements using difference devices and also perform calculation related to losses in pipes and also performs characteristics study of pumps, turbines etc…
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING LABORATORY
- Objective of this lab is to validate the principles studied in theory by performing experiments in the laboratory and outcomes of this lab is ability to perform speed characteristics of different electrical machine
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS LAB
- To supplement the theoretical knowledge gained the mechanics of solids with practical testing for determining the strength of materials under externally applied loads. This would enable the student to have clear understanding of the design for strength and stiffness.
COMPUTER AIDED MACHINE DRAWING LABORATORY
- To make the students understand and interpret drawings of machine components so as to prepared assembly drawings either manually and using standard CAD packages. to familiarize the students with Indian standards on drawing practices and standard components
MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY LAB II
- To study and acquire knowledge on various basic machining operations in special purpose machines and its applications in real life manufacture of components in the industry.
THERMAL ENGINEERING LAB I
- To study the valve timing –V diagram and performance of I.C.Engines.
- To study the characteristics of fuels/ lubricants used in I.C.Engines.
- To study the performance of steam generator/turbine.
- To supplement the principles learned in kinematics and dynamics of machinery.
- To understand how certain measuring devices are used for dynamic testing.
METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENT LAB
- To familiar with different measuring instruments like vernier caliper, micrometer and dial gauges etc…and use of this in industry for quality inspection.
- To gain practical experience in handling 2D drafting and 3D modeling software systems.
- To study the features of CNC Machine Tool.
- To expose students to modern control systems (Fanuc, Siemens etc.)
- To know the application of various CNC machines like CNC lathe, CNC Vertical Machining centre, CNC EDM and CNC wire-cut and studying of Rapid prototyping.
THERMAL ENGINEERING LAB II
- To study the heat transfer phenomena predict the relevant coefficient using implementation.
- To study the performance of refrigeration cycle / components.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS – LABORATORY BASED
- To provide opportunities to learners to practice their communicative skills to make them become proficient users of English.
- To enable learners to fine-tune their linguistic skills (LSRW) with the help of technology to communicate globally.
- To enhance the performance of learners at placement interviews and group discussions and other recruitment procedures
DESIGN AND FABRICATION PROJECT
- The main objective is to give an opportunity to the student to get hands on training in the fabrication of one or more components of a complete working model, which is designed by them.
COMPUTER AIDED SIMULATION AND ANALYSIS LAB
- To give exposure to software tools needed to analyze engineering problems.
- To expose the students to different applications of simulation and analysis tools.
- To know the method of programming the microprocessor and also the design, modeling & analysis of basic electrical, hydraulic & pneumatic Systems which enable the students to understand the concept of mechatronics.
- To encourage the students to comprehend the knowledge acquired from the first Semester to Sixth Semester of B.E Degree Course through periodic exercise.
- To develop the ability to solve a specific problem right from its identification and literature review till the successful solution of the same. To train the students in preparing project reports and to face reviews and viva voce examination.
ASSOCIATION OF CLUB-de-Makkana
The Mechanical Engineering students association (CLUB DE MAKHANA ) organized a National level conference on “Emerging Trends in Mechanical Engineering (ETME-2012) ” on 24.02.2012.
Mr. C.Sivaramane Executive Director (Operations), Numeric Power Systems Limited- Chennai, was the chief guest and addressed the participants . The high lights are.
- 480 collages were invited throughout India.
- 152 Technical papers received.
- 100 papers were selected.
- 78 delegates from various colleges were participated.
Auto Expo 2012.
On 25th February 2012 an auto expo was conducted in the college premises, which is the First time in kanyakumari district.
- More than 160 vintages.
- Altered and newly lounged automobiles of various segments were displayed.
- Publics were invited through the media.
- Thousands of students and publics visited and benefited.
- Prizes were given to the top class altered cars and bikes.
SAE SUPRA “SKY RIDERS
- SUPRA is the National Level Racing Event conducted by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) for UG students to conceive design, fabricate formula style vehicle
- We develop a team titled “SKY RIDERS” consist of 25 young riders of mechanical Engineering. We registered our team for this event on MAY 2013. The PDR with Overview of Race Car is made under guidance of our staff members and we got selected for the Virtual Event
- Our Team Members namely C. Joseph Mervin, Richu john, S.M. Jenin Ranjith, M. Krishna kumar, V. Anish, Alwin Hadrian, Alwin P.J, S. Anish, and Nithin .M.S had participated in the Virtual Event held at Odissa, under the guidance of our professor Dr. P.M. Diaz.
- Our students steam “SKY RIDERS” got selected for the Final Event of SUPRA.
- Department of mechanical engineering of Ponjesly college of engineering conduct a national level workshop on “Guidelines to Publish Articles in International Peer Review Journal” sponsored by Indian society for technical education on 3rd and 4th January 2014.
- The resource person of this national workshop is Dr.S.Arunachalam, Professor, University of East London.
- Faculty, Ph.D students, PG, UG Students from various colleges were participated.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering of Ponjesly College of Engineering conduct an “International Conference On Recent Advances in Mechanical Engineering and Interdisciplinary Developments” ICRAMID-2014 on 7th and 8th March 2014
- We got huge response and received about 509 papers
- All papers were subjected to peer review process and finally 286 papers are finding place in the proceedings.
- . The papers have been divided into 4 categories— (i) Applied Materials and Mechanics (ii) Energy Efficient Technologies (iii) Robotics (iv) Wire communication and Networking.
- This conference is associated with the advanced material researches (AMR) an international journal and institute for electrical and electronics engineers (IEEE).
- Dr. Joseph Scolds Man, Professor, University of Engineering, Germany is being the chief Guest for the conference and Also experts from various reputed organization and academicians are invited as keynote speakers.
Achievements & Activities
Date of Event
Name of the Event
|2013-2014||Prem Singh||20 th march-2014||Project Presentation||Velammal college of engineering & technology,madurai||First prize with cash award Rs.10,000|
|2013-2014||B.Suhil||20 th march-2014||Project Presentation||Velammal college of engineering & technology,madurai||First prize with cash award Rs.10,000|
|2013-2014||J.Libin||5 th march 2014||Technical quiz||Marthandam college of engineering & technology||first|
|2013-2014||V.Anish||5 th march 2014||Technical quiz||Marthandam college of engineering & technology||first|
|2013-2014||Anish.S||20 th -21 sh Feb-2014||Paper presentation||Noorul islam centre for higher education||first|
|2013-2014||Richu John||20 th -21 sh Feb-2014||Paper presentation||Noorul islam centre for higher education||first|
|2013-2014||Alwin P.J||20 th -21 sh Feb-2014||Paper presentation||Noorul islam centre for higher education||First|
|2013-2014||Asif Mahideen||8-12 Jan 2014||Project Presentation||ELECRAMA-2014||First prize with 2 lakhs cash award|
|2013-2014||Jomson Jose||8-12 Jan 2014||Project Presentation||ELECRAMA-2014||First prize with 2 lakhs cash award|
|2013-2014||J.Shiju||8-12 Jan 2014||Project Presentation||ELECRAMA-2014||First prize with 2 lakhs cash award|
|2012-2013||K.Girish||13-10-2012||Paper Presentation||University College Of Engineerin,Nagercoil||Second|
|2012-2013||A.Jerin||13-10-2012||Paper Presentation||University College Of Engineerin,Nagercoil||Second|
|2012-2013||Austin Pradeep.R||13-10-2012||Project Presentation||University College Of Engineerin,Nagercoil||First|
|2012-2013||Benraey.B||13-10-2012||Project Presentation||University College Of Engineerin,Nagercoil||First|
|2012-2013||A.Jerin||04-10-2012||Best Manager||University College Of Engineerin,Nagercoil||First|
|2012-2013||Richu john||02-10-2012||Esay writing in english||Tamilnadu forest department||First|
|2012-2013||Austin Pradeep.R||October-2012||Paper Presentation||Cape Institute Of Technology||First|
|2012-2013||Dibudharsan.S.N||October-2012||Paper Presentation||Cape Institute Of Technology||First|
|2012-2013||Sutheesh.S||September-2012||Quiz||Marthandam College Of Engineering And Technology||Second|
|2012-2013||Sunil.S||September-2012||Quiz||Marthandam College Of Engineering And Technology||Second|
|2012-2013||Gigin Durai.C||28-09-2012||Spell Bee||University College Of Engineerin, Pattukottai||First|
|2012-2013||N.R.Dhanesh||28-09-2012||Spell Bee||University College Of Engineerin, Pattukottai||First|
|2012-2013||Karthick.P||27-09-2012||Aero Modelling||J.J.College Of Engineering||First|
|2012-2013||Prasanth.D||27-09-2012||Aero Modelling||J.J.College Of Engineering||First|
|2012-2013||Karthick.P||25-09-2012||CAD Modelling||J.J.College Of Engineering||Second|
|2012-2013||Vipin Suresh.V||23-09-2011||Design Contest||Rajas Engineering College||First|
|2012-2013||Karthick.P||Sept-2012||Slogan Contest||Indira Gandhi Centre For Atomic Research,Kalpakam||First|
|2012-2013||Rakesh Nair||Sept-2012||Paper Presentation||Marthandam College Of Engineering And Technology||First|
|2012-2013||Rakesh.R.S||Sept-2012||Paper Presentation||Marthandam College Of Engineering And Technology||First|
|2011-2012||Benraey.b||26-03-2012||Flight Simulation||Noorul Islam Centre For Higher Education||Third|
|2011-2012||Karthick.P||17-03-2012||Photography||Scott Christian College||First|
|2011-2012||Sujith||17-03-2012||Clay Modellimg||Scott Christian College||Third|
|2011-2012||Karthick.P||March-2012||Cad Design||College Of Engineering,Trivandrum||Second|
Geo Precision Castings, Madurai
- John victor s
- Seethe raman c